Monday, May 29, 2006

MyDays @ Infy Mysore:Jaane Kaha Gaye Wo Din

Its now about 1yr and 8months that I have been with Infosys Technologies ltd. Well for those of you who don’t know what I am referring to, it’s one of the biggest software firms in India and probably amongst the top most respected firms across the world. Surely my ride in Infy (as we call it in short) during these months has been quite a bumpy one.
However what I am going to express further is not going to be about this ride, but about the first 4months that I had passed with this company.
It was September 30, 2004 that I got the joining letter from Infy. The letter mentioned my joining date as 18,Oct 2004. I was totally ecstatic. I knew it was my day. But there was a surprise in store for me in the letter. It stated that I was supposed to join a certain batch of trainees at Infosys, Mysore. Yes that was the place where Infy had one of its branch offices or Development Centres(DCs) as we call it. Anyways the posting at Mysore was a surprise because most of my classmates from my college in Bangalore were posted at the Bangalore DC. So I was damn sure that even I would be posted there. On seeing that initially I was pretty apprehensive of the fact that while I would be alone in Mysore since none of my friends would be joining me there, however I had no option. Then came the day of 17th Oct when we were actually supposed to report at Mysore. I caught a bus to Mysore at 1’o clock in the noon to reach there by 4’o clock. Once I reached Mysore the next step was to catch an Auto upto the Infy Office ( these pointers were infact present in the FAQs in the offer letter). I never expected what awaited me on my arrival. For that matter no one in his/her thoughts would have expected that.
We were welcomed to the awesome world of Infosys, Mysore. A vast lush green expanse right in front of us. After the initial mandatory security checks at the gate we made entry into the campus. A Chevrolet Optra was waiting to pick us up from the spot to our rooms. While I waited for the car to start after having packed off my luggage in the cabin, there was another guy whom I could see had just landed from his auto. This guy after going through the checks joined me in the car. This was my roomie. The Chevrolet then took us across the huge Infy campus in Mysore to our rooms. Well there awaited another surprise in the package. Our room was nothing less than what one would find in a 5 star hotel. Absolutely POSH !! And that is where we were supposed to pass our 4 months of initial training. Was I dreaming??? Well that’s what me and my roomie thought for a while. Nopes!! We were totally alive and kicking and that wasn’t a dream.The first few days in the campus were absolute bliss, with no or very little on the class job to be done. But there was much more to unfold. Firstly when the actual training sessions started none of us had anytime worth to spare. We had to do lots of night outs in the training labs. Generally we used to be back only by 2 at night only to be present in the next days class by 9a.m sharp. And mind you, had we been a minute late even we were asked to apply for ½ a days leave immediately. However to augment this unique experience of 5 star rooms( in which we were rarely able to pass any time except weekends J) and the blood sucking training seesions, we would have the chairman Mr.NR Narayan Murthy himself visiting the campus.
Amidst these rigorous sessions and visits to us from the Top Bosses came the toughest moment that I had been in my entire span of the journey. That was when my group ( we used to work in groups of 4 ) was caught plagiarizing an old project work. Infact that turned out to be the toughest time for not one but quite a few of such groups who were caught in the act. [After this our group went through another set of episodes. But I dont think it would be wise mentioing them here.Thanks to suggestions from my friends ]. Well what i can say is I definitely had my nerves held tightly...
Anyways now it’s a long time that we were since given postings across different locations and different departments after finishing our training. But now having past that time long back I wish I could go back in time. I made friends. Some for a lifetime and some definitely worth keeping in memory. Still there are lots of mails exchanged. But yes we still miss those days.
Before I end this post let me tell you about my most memorable moment in Mysore. Meeting the honorable prime minister on our last week in the campus at Mysore.

3 comments:

Neel Arurkar said...

Mysore DC is indeed a very nice place to be. But Indranil, I dont think you should be having company confidential things like HR warnings and all over here..

Anonymous said...

YA... i TOO FEEL THE SAME AS nEEL.
THOSE HR WARNINGS SHOULD BE KEPT OUT OF blog...

Good piece, took me down my memory lane... kud hav mentioned ur few memorable moments with ur (MySORE)friends!

Anonymous said...

nicely written....took back 2 those dayz....especially the description of the first day at mysore DC.

-- Juhi

Rate My Blog