Saturday, April 30, 2011

Simple Pleasures of Life


In today’s constantly churning tumultuous world, accentuated by the FaceBooks and Twitters, life seems to be moving at a pace which is not comprehendible by most of us. Considering we conceive of ourselves as the most intelligent species on earth, the inventor of the all pervasive computer, the incomprehension of any activity drives us into delirium.  With so much more information to grasp and our increasing rabidity to analyze them has left our emotions paralysed. We are not treating ourselves as a unique creation by a Supreme Being with a heart capable of falling in love but as an incredible human machine with a central processing unit that beats 100000 times a day. In this constant crusade to analyse and over-analyse all (our) actions and in-actions, we are consistently inflicting wounds on ourselves, without even realizing the long term effects. Once the adrenaline of the moment that keeps us from feeling the pain settles down would we realize how caustic the wound has become.
In this effort of ours where we regress our mental faculties over the happenings of the past to predict a better future for us, we are significantly missing our present. The present that brings with itself the Present of Joy, Happiness, Fun, Craziness and kegful of Emotions. The very essence in the innocuous admiration of a beautiful girl has got lost in the intricacies of her AL (age & location). Gone are the days when we would immediately throw ourselves to stargazing, building castles (in the air) adorned by a priggish couple – you and that beautiful girl. The fun of the fantastic imagination has got lost in the worldliness of the Facebook Id and Twitter handle.
And considering I have mentioned about castles and their inhabitants, I am currently reveling under the influence of a wonderful Royal occasion – the marriage of Prince William with Kate Middleton (now the Duke & the Duchess of Cambridge). While almost 2 billion people (most of them watching live on TV) across the world enjoyed and marveled at the wonderfully conducted nuptial ceremony (at times so prissy that it was almost boring), skeptics were under a lot of anguish. Anguish as of theirs that bringeth forth economic worries, cruel wastage of misplaced priorities (by the media, when it should focus on Gadaffi) or a simple loss of sense about how an entire country can be crazy about a Royal wedding (when we live in a world that is largely democratic). I for once decided to let the skeptics grudge with their thinking hats on, and instead enjoyed the pleasure of witnessing Royalty from a close distance of a foot (watched the entire episode on my laptop). I enjoyed the live exhibition to have a sneak peek of Royal traditions and found myself lucidly soaked into centuries of history.  The Royal kiss – William kissing his wife Kate – on the balcony of Buckingham shall remain deeply entrenched in my memories.
I think I am slowly falling into an abyss, a Dreamland. The magnificence of English Royalty is slowly giving way to an Indian Regality. I see someone arriving in a Palanquin? The Palanquin bearers singing - Lightly, O lightly we glide and we sing, We bear her along like a pearl on a string.

12 comments:

Arpan Kar said...

palki te tor bou ke anbi naki? :D
ar tui pokkhiraj ghoray, pagri pore, haate tolowar :P

Maverick's Musings said...

@Arpan: hahahaha !!! Amake pokkhiraj ghoraye :D Awesome :-)

Arpan Kar said...

generally meye ra tader biye niye eto aage theke eto fantasize kore re ;)
reminds me of Lily (HIMYM)

Anshuman said...

I appreciate the good and crisp use of language...except that to be very honest, I expect a much refreshing topic to be handled that screws you up... i dont think facebook and twitters can annoy us until we allow that. However,i loved the subtle confession that you watched Willkat wedding without bothering about the anguish and obsessions.

Pritha said...

Only one understanding from this brief write up - High time u shd get married :D :D :D

Maverick's Musings said...

@Pritha: :D !! Khoob na .. :-)

Dada said...

Great honest write up! Beautiful & lyrical almost like a old fairy tale!

I didn't watch the proceedings. I'm a republican (not George Bush kinds) but republican in a sense that I like the idea of a complete Republic. I've never given importance to any form of political system that entitles power through gene & gene products (er..in lay man's term 'bloodlines'). Hence Royals and their hanger ons don't excite me nor does the concept of caste-system. A truly meritocratic national political system can't be based on the concept of bloodlines.

Well that doesn't mean that I hate Will/Kate. I wish them well but I won't line up on the streets to have a glimpse of them. Nor will I line up to see the Indian Maharajas & Maharanis or for that matter monarchies from the rest of the world.

I might actually line up to have a glimpse of Obama/Laloo (despite his chara-ghotala). Definitely line up to see Nelson, Mohandas Gandhi, Aung Sang Sui.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a rant against UK or British people. I love the British and several of their traditions but monarchy is something that doesn't gel well with me.

Well let me comeback to this blog. It is indeed freshening to read something heartfelt. Loved it.

- Dada

Dada said...

and yes before I forget. When are you planning your own "balcony kiss" ;-)?

-Dada

DebashisS said...

Nice :), So who said the Green is lost inside Indra? Which Indra is that? Think Green from now on..:):)

Unknown said...

Hey Friend… Thanx for penning down this beautiful post…. I insist on thanking you ‘cos somehow I can relate myself to your realization… This realization is not attainable either through simple reason or narrow imaginations of human mind, but can be attained solely through intuitive experience.
Today life has become so fast and stressful that we lose the ability to enjoy the simple pleasures of living…we leave behind our childhood fantasies, teenage infatuation, adulthood dreams & tend to find contentment in surfing, tweeting… I guess these are the means and ways devised to escape from the grim realities of life…
But life is about change, sometimes it's painful, sometimes it's beautiful, but most of the time it's both. Hope a beautiful life ahead for each one of us…
With this I bid adieu

Maverick's Musings said...

Hey Dear... I absolutely agree with you.. Life indeed is beautiful..sometimes captured in the tears of joy & at other times through moments of laughter. Indeed wishing each of us a beautiful life ahead :) !!!
U don't need to bid adieu.. Keep revisiting :)

Arpan Kar said...

Ahem!!!

Rate My Blog