Thursday, July 15, 2010

Our lives Through the Prism of a Dust Particle

Once again, today, as the mighty Sun dawned upon the Earth to shower its blessings, a thin streak of sunlight fell on my eyes, making its way through the closed window panes of my room. Powerful as it was it managed to wake me up and as I opened my eyes, sulking at the very thought of vacating my bed once again, I observed something astonishing. There were scattrered particles in the focus of my eyes moving unprovoked gleaming like Golddust in the beam of the sun rays. I kept lying on my bed embracing the delectable sight of the free flowing Gold-dust and marvelling at the thought of how a streak of light can make an otherwise detestable dust particle seem attractive.
As I observed more deeply the dust particles felt analogous to our real selves and the streak of light looked like the fortune of knowledge and wealth that we amass in our journey towards the invincible. Like the dust we all seem rather unwanted in the absence of that sunshine on us which comes in the form of knowledge and wealth. However, the more deeply I observed, the more these particles of dust seemed to weigh heavy on me. They looked forlorn, moving listlessly towards an unknown goal. I somehow started feeling like one of those dust particles absoloutely unworthy without knowledge and wealth and at the same time forlorn in the nomadic world where everyone else was fighting fortitudinously for the slim streak of light to feel precious.
I excogitated whether we as human beings were better off exploring our true selves or were we better off in a strong bonded network of human beings where the bonds mattered more than an individual, like a dust particle on a dirt bed. Was it even worth all the effort where I started my journey to make myself worthy enough, extricating myself from the bindings of a society and in the process making a stong individual self.
As I found myself intertwined in a plethora of thoughts, suddenly, the light from the sun which was slowly getting stronger got gripped by the darkness from the descending clouds. All the gold-dust had now vanished from the front of my eyes and in the same breath I found my existence being questioned. I agnised that as we all run towards being more successful and powerful in our lives we all leave behind the true meaning of our lives which stands in the bonding with all the near and dear ones. In the lull of darkness individuals loose any meaning that had been acquired in the brightness of the sun. What remains left is a feeling of oneness with the loved one.

9 comments:

Pravesh said...

Even though the line " In the lull of darkness individuals loose any meaning that had been acquired in the brightness of the sun." is really beautiful, I think that a definition of I would be necessary before you exclaim " I love you" to your near and dear ones. The point being that without the definition of your existences and establishment of your identity as an individual love itself wouldn't make sense.

Maverick's Musings said...

That was one thoughtful comment dear !! I truly accept ur point that defining "I" becomes really imp !!

Anonymous said...

perhaps ur best...not perhaps, it is ur best...or may be times are so that i feel its ur best. will keep it with me.

-Kiran

Anonymous said...

interesting thought. Several lines of thoughts can follow from where u end or started. Some of them as they come to my mind are -
1. What should be the role of individuals dust particles in the shadow of cloud. More elaboration as how bonding would help.
2. Role of Sun should be treated as fate or God? Dust particles fight to be in ray of light because they don't control or can't affect their identity to be in light. Randomness inherent to particle movements is only increased by the fact that light is shed randomly on them. Light is opportunity?
Knowledge could be acquired though.
3. Role of the window which caused the phenomenon. Notice in open when abundant sunlight in there you can't notice beauty of dust particles. It is the window which makes it possible. What is that window? Sun is the ultimate light source, dust is people like us. Then the window is what? Is it some hidden yet visible force which always guide us to proceed to achieve meaning of our lives? The force that tells us what is right/wrong? I don't know.

-Vipul

Maverick's Musings said...

Thanks Vipul.. gr8 observations.. makes me think again !

Arpan Kar said...

nice one re....

Anindya said...

Urreh, guru, puro darshonik hoye gecchish toh !

Dekh, here's another advantage of desh over USA. Much more dust to philosophze about. :)

Amrita Saha said...

Touched,humbled and reminded of family..you touched a nerve there with your writing nil da :)

Maverick's Musings said...

Thanks for the lovely comments amu :-)

Rate My Blog